19.5.11

Experimenting with Rhinoceros Grasshopper Video 2 Uploaded

I decided to squeeze in a little more "fiddling time" in transit to and from uni yesterday. One of the first things I said I wanted to know how to make in Grasshopper was a smooth, undulating surface. Thus, the aim of this model was to make an undulating surface, with a few extra things thrown into the mix to expand the amount of things I'd need to figure out to get a finished model. If I recall correctly, the time taken for this model was about 90 minutes.





There weren't many hiccups through this video, since I'm getting more used to knowing where to look for the kinds of functions I want. The main sticking point this time was when I tried to give the undulating 2D surface thickness. My initial thought was to duplicate the surface upwards with a "move", and then try the "cap holes" function. However, that didn't work since "cap holes" only works for holes defined by planar curves, rather than intelligently joining vertices with edges, and the resulting closed polygons with surfaces like I'd hoped. I ended up realising an "extrude" was all I needed.

After that, the only confusing thing was figuring out how the solid functions work. At first, I couldn't figure out why two cylinders would no longer work for a solid union when I was trying to intersect them, but then I noticed that Grasshopper's cylinder primitive isn't a closed solid, so trying to perform a solid union for them when their open ends weren't exactly planar would end up failing. After using cap holes, that problem was fixed.

Another thing: I just took a look at PK's blog and saw he'd posted a video using Grasshopper's "Galapagos" capsule. I remember Russell mentioning it in a previous studio class, but I'd forgotten to check it out. Looking at some videos and fiddling briefly with it in Grasshopper to evolve solutions to various simple equations, it seems to be exactly the sort of thing I'd be interested in using to evolve different aspects of my final design!

I'll definitely be using it to see what I can do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment